The Academy is a conduit to the community of scholars and researchers on the island of Ireland. It offers an independent and autonomous forum for debate and dialogue on matters pertaining to the practice of research and scholarship in the sciences, humanities and social sciences.
How to Succeed with the European Research Council
Prof. Donald Dingwell, Secretary General, European Research Council spoke to Irish researchers at the Irish Research Council on ‘How to Succeed at the ERC’. Click here for more information.
Making Open Access Work for Ireland
The Royal Irish Academy and the Irish Research Council held a forum on Open Access on May 2, 2013. Click here for more information.
Roadmap for Embedding the Social Sciences and Humanities in Horizon 2020
All European Academies (ALLEA), which brings together 52 Academies in more than 40 countries, has today published a roadmap for embedding the social sciences and humanities in Horizon 2020, the EU’s research and innovation programme from 2014-2020.
The roadmap sets out the key value of the social sciences and humanities in the realisation of Horizon 2020’s goals whilst making four key recommendations:
- The introduction of specific quotas for the representation of the social sciences and humanities within Expert Advisory Groups and Programme Committees across all three pillars and societal challenges of Horizon 2020
- The allocation of individual quotas within the aforementioned structures for the social sciences, and for the humanities. Both areas cover a vast disciplinary range and an extraordinary breadth of perspectives. One cannot be substituted for the other.
- Adequate social science and humanities representation amongst the evaluators of bids to Horizon 2020 Calls to support the realisation of the interdisciplinary goals Horizon 2020 has set itself.
- Development of a new enhanced and dedicated unit for the social sciences and humanities and their embedding within DG Research & Innovation.
The roadmap was developed out of a meeting of ALLEA’s Social Sciences and Humanities Working Group of which the Royal Irish Academy is a member.
Royal Irish Academy advocates for the Humanities and Social Sciences within Horizon 2020
The Royal Irish Academy has written to:
- the Minister of State for Research and Innovation, Mr. Sean Sherlock, T.D, championing the position of the humanities and social sciences in Horizon 2020;
- the European Commissioner, Maire Geogehan Quinn, supporting a greater role for the Humanities and Social sciences in realising the goals of Horizon 2020.
For old news items please see the news archive.