The library is normally open Monday-Thursday, 10.00 a.m. - 5.30 p.m. and 10.00 a.m. - 5.00 p.m. on Friday. Closed on public holidays and other bank holidays.
Closed on Tuesday after Easter and for the last week of December.
How to gain admission to the library:
We welcome new readers to the library. Our reading room provides a friendly quiet atmosphere in the heart of the city. There are several ways of gaining access to the library:
- You should complete a registration form and produce a valid ID and
- a letter of introduction from an Academy Member, or from a County Librarian or the Librarian or Head of Department of a Higher Education Authority institution, or from the Higher Education Authority or the Department of Education and Science, or from a North of Ireland third-level institution, or from the Secretary of a Local History Society or
- a National Library of Ireland Reader's Ticket or
- a National Archives of Ireland Reader's Ticket or
- a Public Record Office of Northern Ireland Reader's Ticket or
- a Linen Hall Library Reader's Ticket or
- a letter of introduction from the faculty of a university (in the case of overseas academics and students) or
- a valid student's card and passport.
Registration forms must be validated by the Librarian or Deputy Librarian. A Reader's Ticket is issued on payment of €15 and is renewable on an annual basis. The charge may be revised from time to time. You may print out the form now or you may obtain one by applying to the library by phone, fax, email or in writing.
Members of Academy committees or commissions, or members of consultative committees affiliated to the Academy, are eligible to read in the Library. They will be issued with a Reader's Ticket on completion of a registration form and are not required to pay a fee.
ALCID ( Academic Libraries Co-operating in Ireland)
ALCID is a co-operative access scheme which enables access to the collections of each of the participating libraries, without formality, on production of a common ALCID membership card for full-time academics, academic-related staff and registered students reading for postgraduate degrees.
If you belong to an ALCID institution and hold a valid ALCID card from your home institution, you may gain automatic access to the Academy library. ALCID card-holders are not required to pay a fee.
Academy members who need to access our partner ALCID libraries should contact Amy Hughes (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will issue you with a current ALCID card. Full-time staff should contact Dr Bernadette Cunningham (email@example.com). ALCID cards must be used in conjunction with your Academy library reader’s ticket.
The following institutions participate in this scheme:
Regulations (pdf file)