The Royal Irish Academy operates in compliance with the Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 in terms of the collection and use of personal data made available to it via this website.
Information we collect
- Information about your use of our site including details of your visits such as pages viewed and the resources that you access. Such information includes traffic data, location data and other communication data.
- Information provided voluntarily by you. For example, when you register for an event or make a purchase.
- Information that you provide when you communicate with us by any means.
A cookie is a small piece of information which a web site stores through the web browser on your PC that it can later retrieve when you log back on to the website. This means that the web site will remember your preferences and possibly even your name!
We may gather information about your general internet use by using the cookie. Where used, these cookies are downloaded to your computer and stored on the computer’s hard drive. Such information will not identify you personally. It is statistical data. This statistical data does not identify any personal details whatsoever
You can adjust the settings on your computer to decline any cookies if you wish. This can easily be done by activating the reject cookies setting on your computer.
Use of your information
We use the information that we collect from you to provide our services to you. In addition to this we may use the information for one or more of the following purposes:
- to provide information to you that you request from us relating to our products or services.
- to provide information to you relating to other products that may be of interest to you. Such additional information will only be provided where you have consented to receive such information.
- to inform you of any changes to our website, services or goods and products.
- send statements and invoices to you, and colect payments from you
- send you email notifications which you have specifically requested such as newsletters and other marketing communications relating to the Academy
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by you relating to the website.
Disclosing Your Information
- where we are legally required by law to disclose your personal information.
- we have received authorisation from you so to do
Security of your personal data
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
Of course, data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure, and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
If you have a user account you are responsible for keeping your password and user details confidential.
For access to any personal information we hold about you please refere to our freedom of information policy page.
Third party websites
The website contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of third party websites.
Please let us know if the personal information which we hold about you needs to be corrected or updated.