Book of Fenagh
BOOK OF FENAGH / Leabar Chaillín / Leabar Fidhnacha
RIA MS 23 P 26: Cat. No. 479
Vellum: 30cm x 23cm
Written in Irish for Tadhg Ó Rodaighe, hereditary comharb of St Caillín in Fenagh. The scribe was Muirgheas Mac Phaidín Uí Mhaoil Chonaire (d.1543). It is mainly a revision of the old Book of St Caillín, which no longer survives. It is quite a lavish manuscript and contains both prose and verse. The original manuscript from which it derived is stated to have consisted of the poems only and it was considerably added to. The manuscript also contains historical lore relating to the two territories of Breifne, now Counties Leitrim and Cavan.
A transcript with contents in English was made by Seaan Ó Donnabháin in 1828 for Maolmhordha Mac Dubhghoill Uí Raghailligh (MS 23 P 8, Cat. Irish Mss in RIA, Fasc. 10, p. 1288).
The writing is in double columns and the capital letters are filled in red but some are blank. The manuscript is in good condition, the outer folios only having suffered from exposure. It is bound in leather, gilt lettered on back ‘Book of Fenagh’ with slip cover of black cloth.
The Book of Fenagh remained in the hands of the O’Roddys, hereditary comharbs of Fenagh, Co. Leitrim. It was in the possession of Dr Conroy, Bishop of Ardagh, at the time of publication of the Book of Fenagh (1875). It was purchased in 1888 by the Royal Irish Academy from Reverend D. Murphy for £10.
- Digital edition: www.isos.dias.ie
- Catalogue of Irish manuscripts in the Royal Irish Academy (Dublin, 1933), Fasc. 10: 1284-6.
- Bernadette Cunningham and Raymond Gillespie, ‘Muirgheas Ó Maoilchonaire of Cluain Plocáin: an early sixteenth-century Connacht scribe at work’, Studia Hibernica 35 (2008-9), 17-43.
- W.M. Hennessy and D.H. Kelly, The Book of Fenagh in Irish and English, originally compiled by St Caillín (Dublin, 1875).
- Máire Herbert, ‘Medieval collections of ecclesiastical and devotional materials: Leabhar Breac, Liber Flavus Fergusiorum and The Book of Fenagh’ in Bernadette Cunningham and Siobhán Fitzpatrick (eds), Treasures of the Royal Irish Academy Library (Dublin, 2009), 33-43.
- John Hynes, ‘St Ceillín’, JRSAI 61 (1931), 39-54:43-6.
- R.A.S. Macalister (ed.), Book of Fenagh: supplementary volume (Dublin, 1939).
- Rev. Paul Walsh, The Book of Fenagh (Dublin, 1940).