Charitable property: the manuscripts of St Anne's Guild, Dublin
Library Lunchtime Lecture on the manuscripts of the Guild of St Anne, part of the Haliday Collection held at the Royal Irish Academy.
The Guild of St Anne was established in 1430 by charter of King Henry VI and a chantry chapel was established at St Audoen’s Church, Dublin. The guild had its own common seal and was entitled to buy and lease property to fund the maintenance of the chapel. Through donations and bequests from well to do members and benefactors, the guild became very wealthy. The Haliday collection includes over 200 documents relating to the Guild. A selection of deeds and documents are currently on display as part of the Library's exhibition 'Dublin Documents: highlights from Charles Haliday's manuscript collection'.
Speaker: Professor Colm Lennon
Location: Academy House
Date: January 9, 2017
The Royal Irish Academy has prepared this content responsibly and carefully, but disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy of the information contained in any of the materials. The views expressed are the authors’ own and not those of the Royal Irish Academy.