Inspiring Ireland 1916 at RTÉ's 'Reflecting the Rising'
WhenMonday, March 28, 2016, 12:30
'Pop-up' talks by historians and digital heritage experts and guided site demonstrations showcasing 1916-themed exhibitions in the Digital Repository of Ireland's multiple award-winning project Inspiring Ireland.
Through a series of seven curated exhibitions, Inspiring Ireland 1916 brings together ‘iconic’ objects from Ireland's national cultural institutions and RTÉ Archives alongside fascinating objects – photos, diaries, medals, ephemera, and more - from private collections, to paint a vivid picture of life in Ireland in 1916.
Each 25 minute session begins with a short talk from Irish and international experts on some of the personalities and objects that make up four of the seven exhibitions: 'Women and the Rising', 'Communicating the Rising', 'Rising in the Regions' and 'Leaders of the Rising'. Three more exhibitions - '1916: the Rising and Beyond', 'Impact of the Rising' and 'Remembering the Rising' - will be published during April and May.
12.30 – 12.55pm
- Dr Natalie Harrower, Director, Digital Repository of Ireland, 'Lizzie Walsh: An Unwitting Woman of the Rising'
1.00 – 1.25pm
- Dr. Teresa Breathnach, Design historian, Institute of Art, Design and Technology, 'A call to arms: communicating the Rising'
1.30 – 1.55pm
- Dr. Brian Hughes, Associate Lecturer in History, University of Exeter, 'The ordinary lives of extraordinary men: the leaders of the Easter Rising'
2.00 – 2.25pm
- Dr. Timothy G. McMahon, Assistant Professor of History, Marquette University, Milwaukee ‘Bulmer Hobson: Easter's Forgotten Militant'
2.30 – 2.55pm
- Pádraig Yeates, Journalist, author & member of the 1913 Committee, '1916: the Rising and beyond'
3.00 – 3.25pm
- Aisling Conroy, Artist, National Irish Visual Arts Library, National College of Art & Design, 'Michael Healy's 1916 Diary: A Centenary Debut.'
3.30 – 3.55pm
- Caroline McGee, Inspiring Ireland 1916 Project Creative Lead, Digital Repository of Ireland, 'Rising Time: family history discoveries and Inspiring Ireland 1916'
Tabhair tacaíocht do thodhchaí an léinn in ÉirinnMake a donation