Charitable property: the manuscripts of St Anne's Guild, Dublin
WhenWednesday, March 1, 2017, 13:00
Free Library Lunchtime Lecture by Professor Colm Lennon, MRIA
Professor Colm Lennon will give a Lunchtime Lecture on the manuscripts of the Guild of St Anne, part of the Haliday Collection held at the Royal Irish Academy.
The Guild of St Anne was established in 1430 by charter of King Henry VI and a chantry chapel was established at St Audoen’s Church, Dublin. The guild had its own common seal and was entitled to buy and lease property to fund the maintenance of the chapel. Through donations and bequests from well to do members and benefactors, the guild became very wealthy. The Haliday collection includes over 200 documents relating to the Guild. A selection of deeds and documents are currently on display as part of the Library's exhibition 'Dublin Documents: highlights from Charles Haliday's manuscript collection'.
The Guild of St Anne was a powerful and influential Catholic body defended by the lawyer Henry Burnell. Read the DIB entry on Burnell, by Terry Clavin and Judy Barry.
Tabhair tacaíocht do thodhchaí an léinn in ÉirinnMake a donation