Call for entries extended: Kathleen Lonsdale Chemistry Prize 202113 January 2021
Applications for the Kathleen Lonsdale RIA Chemistry Prize 2021 are now extended. The new closing date for submissions will be 12 noon on Monday, 18 January 2021.
The Academy seeks to ensure greater gender, disciplinary, institutional, and overall diversity in all of its activities. At the close of the call for nominations on 7 January, the Academy was not satisfied that the applications received were fully representative of the diversity, and especially the gender diversity, of the available field. Accordingly, the closing date for entries has been extended until Monday, 18 January at 12 noon.
The prize will be given for the most outstanding Irish PhD thesis in the general area of the chemical sciences as described in a 1000 word essay. The prize, kindly sponsored by Henkel, includes an award of €2,000.
The winner will also be nominated by the Physical, Chemical and Mathematical Sciences Committee to go forward for the 2021 IUPAC-SOLVAY International Award for Young Chemists.
- One must have received their PhD degree or completed all PhD requirements from a University or Institute of Technology in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland, including a successful defence of the doctoral thesis during the calendar year 2020.
- The research described in the entrant’s thesis must be in the field of the chemical sciences, defined as “chemistry and those disciplines and technologies that make significant use of chemistry.”
How to apply:
- Submit a 1,000 word essay (maximum, but figures are permitted) describing the thesis work and placing it in perspective relative to current research in the chemical sciences
- Supply a listing of all published material arising from the PhD research performed.
- Provide two supporting letters, one from the thesis adviser and one additional faculty member who is familiar with the applicant’s thesis work. These letters should comment on the qualifications, contribution to publications and accomplishments of the applicant and the significance of the thesis work.
All documentation (in PDF format) should be emailed to email@example.com with the subject line: Kathleen Lonsdale Chemistry Prize by 12 noon on Monday, 18 January 2021. Late applications will not be accepted.
Before submitting your application please read the Kathleen Lonsdale Prize Transparency Statement All personal data collected will be used solely for the purpose of assessing applications in line with General Data Protection Regulations.
Hear from previous winners of the prize
The Kathleen Lonsdale RIA Chemistry Prize 2020 Ceremony
Fan ar an eolas le nuachtlitir Acadamh Ríoga na hÉireannSign up now