Archaeology C14 Radiocarbon Dates Scheme
The Royal Irish Academy in association with Queen's University Belfast offers radiocarbon dating for up to twelve applicants per annum to be used for the purposes of archaeological research in Ireland. A minimum of two out of the twelve radiocarbon dates offered are exclusively allocated to students each year.
The offer is intended to assist research projects and academics from all levels are welcome to apply to this scheme (undergraduate, post-graduate students, established researchers etc.).
Priority will be given to proposals that address critical research issues.
It is not our intention to fund commercial archaeology companies or developer funded projects.
How to apply
Applicants are required to submit a detailed application form online, including:
- A photocopy of the relevant section of the Ordnance Survey map with the site or sites marked (if sample is coming from an excavation)
- An adequate site plan (if sample is coming from an excavation)
- A letter of verification from one named referee
- Applicants are required to inform the Academy of any potential conflicts of interests
- Where the applicant is not the holder of the excavation licence for the site to which the C14 date pertains, a letter from the excavation licence holder (if relevant) stating that the applicant has discussed the application with him/her and that there is permission in principle for the dating of the sample
In order to make an application for funding you will need to familiarise yourself with the ‘Guidelines for applicants’ document which you can view here
Please click on this link to access the online application form
Who can apply:
- This scheme is intended to assist research projects and academics from all levels are welcome to apply (undergraduate, post-graduate students, established researchers etc.)
- Applications for the funding of developer led or commercial excavations will not be considered
The Archaeology C14 Radiocarbon Dates Scheme opens on 8th February and will remain open until 22nd March 2019.
Any application received after 17:00 (GMT), Friday 22nd March 2019 will be deemed ineligible and returned to the applicant.
All queries can be sent to email@example.com
Find Out More
Why not join the Academy’s grants mailing list where you will receive the latest details and up to date information on the Royal Irish Academy’s grants?
All personal data collected will be used solely for the purpose of conducting a funding review assessment in line with General Data Protection Regulation