Becoming a Member
Membership of the Academy is by election only. Up to 24 new Members are elected each year. Elections take place on 16 March after a rigorous, peer-review selection procedure.
All nominations received are subject to rigorous international peer-review by the Advisory Committee on the Assessment of Candidates for Membership (ACACM), whose role is to select those who best meet the criteria for election, benchmarked to international standards. The views of each candidate's nominated referees, as well as that of independent expert international referees, are sought as part of this process.
The criteria for election to Academy Membership are as follows:
- Achievements in publication, showing significant evidence of originality and scholarship; at least some of the candidate's publications must have attracted scholarly interest outside of Ireland.
- Other academic achievements, reflected in the scholarly standing of the candidate and his or her contributions to the discipline.
- Resident in Ireland
All nominations must be signed by two Members of the Academy, who have agreed to act as the candidates Proposer and Seconder. The Proposer and Seconder for a Candidate must be from different institutions from each other.
It may also be useful to speak informally with an Academy Member. A complete list of current Academy Members is available here
The call for nominations opens in June and closes on 30th September each year.
For queries, please contact Vanessa Carswell or Karen Ayton at email@example.com or phone 01 676 2570.
A small number of Honorary Members are elected each year. The distinction of Honorary Membership is usually reserved for academics who have made a major international contribution to their disciplines but who are not normally resident in Ireland.
The Review Committee on Honorary Membership will give consideration to the following criteria:
- Academic excellence in the humanities or sciences, based on first-class world standards
- The candidate's strong personal or disciplinary connection to Ireland (but not normally being resident in Ireland)
- The candidate's potential contribution or benefit to the Academy following election.
Candidates for Honorary Membership must be proposed and seconded by existing Members.
The call for nominations opens in April and closes on 30th June each year.
Council Recommended Membership
Each year, the Council of the Academy can also recommend a small number of ‘persons of distinction’, who have made an exceptional contribution to Irish society and whose election would, in the opinion of Council, be of benefit to the Academy. These Members will be elected at the March Stated Meeting.
The call for nominations opens in September and closes in late October each year.
Nominations are made by two Members of the Academy.
If you have any questions or wish to discuss this matter, please contact Gilly Clarke by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01 676 2570.