Becoming a Member
Membership of the Academy is by election only. Up to 16 new Members are elected each year Elections take place on 16 March after a rigorous, peer-review selection procedure.
Nomination Process and Eligibility
All nominations received are subject to rigorous international peer-review by the Advisory Committee on the Assessment of Candidates for Membership (ACACM), whose role is to select those who best meet the criteria for election, benchmarked to international standards. The views of each candidate's nominated referees, as well as that of independent expert international referees, are sought as part of this process.
The criteria for election to Academy Membership are as follows:
- Achievements in publication, showing significant evidence of originality and scholarship; at least some of the candidate's publications must have attracted scholarly interest outside of Ireland.
- Other academic achievements, reflected in the scholarly standing of the candidate and his or her contributions to the discipline.
- Resident in Ireland
All nominations must be signed by two Members of the Academy, who have agreed to act as the candidates Proposer and Seconder. A full directory of our Members can be found here
A complete, valid nomination must contain the following:
- Certificate of candidature, signed by the Proposer and the Seconder.
- A supporting statement prepared by the Proposer and the Seconder.
- A list of the candidate's three most important publications.
- The candidate's CV (not exceeding two pages). A list of the candidate's publications, arranged in reverse chronological order.
- The names and full contact details of at least three referees (one at least based outside Ireland), who are familiar with the candidate's area of expertise, and who have agreed to act on his or her behalf.
Find Out More
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a Member of the Academy, please contact the Academy’s Secretary, or Rebecca Farrell at: firstname.lastname@example.org
It may also be useful to speak informally with an Academy Member. A complete list of current Academy Members is available here.
Proposals for Membership
Proposals from Members of the Academy, for suitable candidates for election to Academy Membership at the March 2017 Stated General Meeting, are now being invited. The deadline for the receipt of valid proposals is Friday, 30 September 2016. If you wish to propose a candidate for Membership, please login to the Members' section to access the relevant documentation and nomination form. For queries, please contact email@example.com or phone 01 676 2570 ext 246 or 272.
Council Recommended Membership
Each year, the Council of the Academy can also recommend a small number of ‘persons of distinction’, who have made a significant contribution to Irish society and whose election would, in the opinion of Council, be of benefit to the Academy. These Members will be elected at the March Stated Meeting.
The deadline for the receipt of nominations is Friday, 28 October 2016. If you wish to propose a candidate, please login to the website in order to access the relevant documentation and nomination form.
For more information or to discuss this matter, please do not hesitate to contact Gilly Clarke by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01 676 2570.
Proposals for Honorary Membership
A small number of Honorary Members are also elected each year. The distinction of Honorary Membership is usually reserved for academics who have made a major international contribution to their disciplines but who are not normally resident in Ireland.
Candidates for Honorary Membership must also be proposed and seconded by existing Members.
The call for nominations is issued in April of each year, and the closing date for the receipt of nominations is 30 June the same year.