Academy Gold Medals: call for nominations24 June 2019
DownloadsNotes for nominators The Academy Gold Medal in the Social Sciences The Academy Gold Medal in the Engineering Sciences
In 2019 the Academy will award two Gold Medals: one in the Social Sciences and one in the Engineering Sciences.
The Gold Medals celebrate the achievements of higher education in Ireland and inspire future generations. The awards publicly highlight and acknowledge excellence in higher education in Ireland and the impact of this work internationally.
Eligibility for candidature is restricted to persons who are usually resident in Ireland. Candidates are currently making a distinguished, demonstrable and internationally recognised scholarly contribution to the Social Sciences or the Engineering Sciences. The work underpinning this will have been undertaken while candidates have been working in Ireland. Candidates are expected to be research active at the time of nomination.
The Academy Gold Medal Nomination Form is available here
A proposer and seconder are required, at least one of whom is a Member (or Honorary Member) of the Academy and/or a current member of one of the Academy Multi-Disciplinary Committees, and/or the head of an institution designated under the HEA Act (1971). The nomination form should be supplemented by:
- a supporting statement of not more than one A4 page, outlining the candidate’s scholarly achievements and contributions;
- a brief (no more than four pages), up-to-date C.V.; and
- a list (no more than twenty) of the candidate’s most important publications to date, including evidence of current research, with an evaluation (no more than two pages) by the proposer and seconder of the five most significant publications.
The closing date for the receipt of nominations is Monday, 1 July at 17:00. Please download and read the following documents before preparing your application:
- Notes for nominators
- The Academy Gold Medal in the Social Sciences
- The Academy Gold Medal in the Engineering Sciences
The Academy Gold Medals are sponsored by the Higher Education Authority.
Stay up to date with the Royal Irish Academy newsletterSign up now