Call for Nominations: Scientific Committee of the World Data System17 October 2019
The World Data System (WDS) Scientific Committee has three vacancies for the period 2018–2021.
The International Science Council (ISC) and the WDS would are calling on national Academies to nominate new members of the Scientific Committee of the WDS. Nominations of scientists or experts from the Global South, and within the Life (Health/Biological) Sciences and the Social Sciences and Humanities are strongly encouraged.
The Scientific Committee is the governing body of WDS as defined in its Constitution. It is composed of internationally recognised and leading researchers and experts in all aspects of scientific data. Scientific Committee members are appointed in their personal capacity normally for a three-year term that is renewable once, with attention to geographical, disciplinary, and gender balance. The current three vacant positions are available owing to members stepping down from the Committee for personal reasons.
Roles of Scientific Committee Members
- To ensure that WDS supports ISC’s mission and objectives.
- To define, develop and prioritise plans for WDS.
- To establish and oversee the review of existing and new WDS Members.
- To establish and maintain a mechanism for oversight of WDS activities.
- To facilitate cooperation and integration with relevant national, regional, and international programmes, organisations, and institutions.
- To mobilise funds for the implementation of WDS and for related activities of the Scientific Committee and of WDS Working Groups.
- To publicise and promote the activities of WDS.
Responsibilities of Scientific Committee Members
- Attend face-to-face meetings up to twice a year (travel support is provided by the WDS International Programme Office), as well as monthly web conferences.
- Represent WDS at relevant meetings around the world.
- Guide and convene WDS Working Groups and appropriate work plans.
- Assist in mobilising financial and human resources for WDS.
To express and interest in being nominated to the Scientific Committee of the World Data System please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 25 November 2019.
Stay up to date with the Royal Irish Academy newsletterSign up now