Climate Change Education Webinar26 November 2020
If you missed the RIA-ALLEA webinar on climate change education you can watch it now.
On 24 November, the Royal Irish Academy, Ireland’s leading body of experts in the sciences and humanities, and ALLEA, the European Federation of Academies of Sciences and Humanities held a webinar entitled ‘’Can Climate Change Education save the planet? European perspectives’’ to address the role and importance of climate change education within both the European and the Irish context. The webinar heard from a number of national and international experts on Climate Change Education.
Findings from a recently published ALLEA report “A snapshot of Climate Change Education Initiatives in Europe: Initial findings and implications for future Climate Change Education” were presented at the webinar by Dr Cliona Murphy, Dublin City University. Dr Murphy has been a member of ALLEA’s Science Education Working Group since 2015. In January 2019 she was nominated to chair a sub-group of this working group to carry out the European survey on climate change education initiatives and she then became Chair of ALLEA’s Science Education Working Group in June 2019. A recent Royal Irish Academy Briefing Paper prepared by Dr Murphy, discusses this report and its implications for Ireland and will be included in the proceedings.
Key speakers at the webinar included:
- Dr Cliona Murphy, Dublin City University and ALLEA Science Education Working Group Chair
- Professor Paweł Rowiński, Vice-President of the Polish Academy of Sciences and ALLEA Board Member
- Dr Philippe Tulkens, acting Head of the Climate and Planetary Boundaries Unit in Directorate “Healthy Planet” of the European Commission
- Professor Pierre Léna, Emeritus Professor at the Université Paris-Diderot
- Dr Agata Gozdzik, Head of the Science Communication and Education Unit, Polish Academy of Sciences
- Dr Michael John O'Mahony, Director of Environmental Education Unit, An Taisce – The National Trust for Ireland
Stay up to date with the Royal Irish Academy newsletterSign up now