The Royal Irish Academy represented at the InterAcademy Partnership Young Physician Leaders Programme05 December 2019
The Academy’s nominee, Dr Sadhbh Lee, University Hospital Galway, recently participated in the Young Physician Leaders Programme in Berlin.
The 2019 edition of the InterAcademy Partnership (IAP) Young Physician Leaders (YPL) Programme took place on 24-29 October 2019 in Berlin, Germany in conjunction with the World Health Summit, a leading international forum for global health. Physicians below the age of 40 from 21 different countries on four continents joined the programme and participated in a tailored workshop.
Since 2011, this workshop has provided 191 outstanding young health professionals with the skills they need to promote health and strengthen health systems around the world. Jo Boufford, the YPL Project Coordinator says:
“This program identifies and convenes a diverse group of outstanding early career physicians from multiple specialties and career interests—education, clinical practice, public health and health policy and research--who are committed to being change agents for health in their countries. They come from all regions of the world and diverse societies at very different stages in their economic development”.
Next year will mark the 10-year anniversary of the YPL programme, and to celebrate this milestone the IAP are developing an alumni association that will give the programme participants the chance to stay in touch, support each other, and find opportunities to collaborate.
The Royal Irish Academy was delighted to be represented by Dr Sadhbh Lee, who presented a session at the 2019 Summit on Youth Leadership. An Obstetrics and Gynaecology trainee with an interest in environmental issues and the impact these have on health, Dr Lee is a founding member and an associate director of Irish Doctors for the Environment. She is currently working in University Hospital Galway and holds the position of Lead Non-Consultant Hospital Doctor for the Women and Children’s Directorate.
Dr Sadhbh Lee at the World Health Summit
A short video about the YPL Programme, including some words from Dr Lee, is available here
The full list of physicians included in this year’s YPL programme is as follows:
- Atiya Mosam, nominated by the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf)
- Fernanda Cruz, nominated by the Brazilian Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Medicine of Brazil
- Fonthip Watcharaporn, nominated by the Thai Academy of Science and Technology
- Giulio Giuseppe Stefanini, nominated by the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei
- Hassan Mansoor, nominated by the Pakistan Academy of Sciences
- Igor Peev, nominated by the Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Isaac Iskander Maro, nominated by the Tanzania Academy of Sciences
- Jaifred Christian Lopez, nominated by the National Academy of Science and Technology, Philippines
- Jaime A. González, nominated by the Chilean Academy of Medicine
- Julio Munoz Miguel, nominated by the Real Academia de Ciencias Exactas, Físicas y Naturales, Madrid, Spain
- Luna Santana Matos, nominated by Bayer
- Maithri Goonetilleke, nominated by Monash University, Australia
- Marissa Sees, nominated by Bayer
- Mohammadreza Naderian, nominated by Tehran University of Medical Sciences
- Nikoletta Szabo, nominated by the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- Paramdeep Singh, nominated by the Indian National Young Academy of Science (INYAS)
- Raymond Francis Sarmiento, nominated by the National Academy of Science and Technology, Philipppines
- Ronald Mbiine, nominated by Makerere University College of Health Sciences
- Rubeshan Perumal, nominated by the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf)
- Sadhbh Lee, nominated by the Royal Irish Academy
- Sebastian Siebelmann, nominated by the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- Siham Chafai Elalaoui, nominated by the Hassan II Academy of Science and Technology
- Yangmu Huang, nominated by the Chinese Academy of Engineering
Stay up to date with the Royal Irish Academy newsletterSign up now