Submission to the 2020 Strategic Review of Irish-Scottish relations27 March 2020
The Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE) and the Royal Irish Academy (RIA) collaborated to offer a joint submission to the Scottish and Irish Governments’ 2020 Strategic Review of Irish-Scottish relations.
The Royal Irish Academy and the Royal Society of Edinburgh co-wrote a submission to the Scottish and Irish Governments' 2020 Strategic Review of Irish-Scottish relations which highlighted the following key messages:
- Ireland and Scotland share a strong focus on research, development and innovation as an enabler and key driver of economic growth and prosperity and social and cultural ambitions.
- Scotland and Ireland rank in the top 20 global countries in the 2018 Incites Essential Science indicators.
- Ireland and Scotland have significant shared areas of research strengths and extensive collaborations have been developed in multiple disciplines and areas including the creative industries; linguistics; governance and law; energy (including renewables); history and literature; financial and business services; food and drink (including agriculture, aquaculture and fisheries); life sciences; and sustainable tourism.
- Dynamic traditions and practices of higher education student and staff mobility continue between Ireland and Scotland. For example, more students come to the University of Glasgow from Ireland than any other European Union country.
- The Royal Society of Edinburgh and the Royal Irish Academy, together with the Learned Society of Wales, have recently formed the Celtic Academies Alliance to support a good understanding of devolved issues in the development and delivery of UK Government policy including meaningful engagement and communication with the UK and Irish Governments and Devolved Administrations on research and innovation needs, priorities and policies.
The Academies hope to engage further with both governments to discuss the full contents of the submission which can be read here
Stay up to date with the Royal Irish Academy newsletterSign up now