Watch Achieving Ireland's climate action ambitions12 April 2021
The RIA Engineering and Computer Sciences committee hosted a conference entitled ‘Achieving Ireland’s Climate Action Ambitions’ online on 25 February 2021.
The event sponsored by the SEAI and EPA opened with a keynote address from Eamon Ryan TD, Minister for Transport and the Minister for the Environment, Climate and Communications.
Four panels brought together thought leaders from industry, academia and the public sector to present innovative ideas and discuss climate action strategies.
Plenary Session and Panel 1: Policy Outlook
- Welcome from President of the Royal Irish Academy, Mary Canning, PRIA
- Conference Chair: John Fitzgerald, MRIA, Member of the Climate Change Advisory Council
- Keynote Address: Eamon Ryan T.D., Minister for Environment, Climate and Communications, and Transport.
- Chair: Marie Donnelly, Chair of the Climate Change Advisory Council
- Brian Carroll, Assistant Secretary-General for Climate Action, Department of Environment, Climate and Communications: Ireland’s Climate Action Plan
- Professor Peter Thorne, Director, Climate Analysis and Research Centre, Maynooth University: The Intergovernmental Climate Change Working Group predictions and likely outcomes
- Kerrie Sheehan, Head of Research and Technology, Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland: Current progress on Ireland’s climate target
Panel 2 PLANNING Electricity and heat
- Chair: Dr Phil Hemmingway, Director of Energy Safety, Commission for Regulation of Utilities
- Dr Damian Flynn, Associate Professor, UCD Energy Institute: Modelling and analysis of the electrical grid with a high share of renewables
- Mark Foley, Chief Executive, Eirgrid: Decarbonisation of the electricity grid in Ireland
- Donna Gartland, CEO, Codema: Planning of district heating in Ireland
Panel 3 Energy efficiency and buildings
- Chair: Dr Frank McGovern, EPA Chief Climate Scientist
- Dr Lisa Ryan, Assistant Professor in Energy Economics, UCD: The economics of decarbonisation in Ireland
- Brian Norton, MRIA, Head of Energy Research, Tyndall National Institute: Decarbonisation of buildings
- Dr Matt Kennedy, UCC on Building resilience for climate adaptation
Panel 4 Sustainable transport and behavioural change
- Chair: Margaret E. Ward, Leadership Consultant and CEO, Clear Ink
- Dr Lorraine D’Arcy, School of Transport, Environment and Planning, TU Dublin: Low carbon transport and mobility
- Geraldine Herbert, Contributing Editor and Motoring Correspondent, Sunday Independent: Challenges of meeting electric car national targets
- Dr Eleanor Denny, Associate Professor of Economics, TCD: Nudging climate action using behavioural science
Stay up to date with the Royal Irish Academy newsletterSign up now