Future Earth Ireland
What are Future Earth and Future Earth Ireland?
Future Earth is a major international research platform providing the knowledge and support to accelerate our transformations to a sustainable world. Future Earth is an international hub to coordinate new, interdisciplinary approaches to research on three themes: Dynamic Planet, Global Sustainable Development and Transformations towards Sustainability. It also aims to be a platform for international engagement to ensure that knowledge is generated in partnership with society and users of science. It is open to scientists of all disciplines, natural and social, as well as engineering, the humanities and law.
Future Earth Ireland is the national committee that feeds into the global programme and has the following remit:
- To act as a hub for co-ordinating efforts within the remit of Future Earth on the island of Ireland.
- To build awareness of Future Earth amongst members, policy makers, funders and other stakeholders.
- To develop synergies around the Future Earth themes within Ireland for researchers and other stakeholders.
- To help identify potential sources of national and international funding for researchers in relation to Future Earth and Future Earth themes
- To co-ordinate activities across existing and proposed initiatives within universities and in other organisations.
Why should you get involved?
Benefits of getting involved with FEI:
- Learn more about Future Earth activities and opportunities
- Meet fellow researchers at events to strengthen research networks
- Develop transdisciplinary interactions with policy and industry
- Identify opportunities to collaborate and mobilize around the Future Earth themes
Benefits of getting involved with the Future Earth global programmes:
- Internationalise your science and boost its impact worldwide
- Build networks for funding applications to H2020 and other international schemes
How can you get involved?
- Find out about upcoming events that you can get involved in
- Subscribe to the Future Earth newsletter
- Follow Future Earth on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn and share your thoughts and comments with the community
- Follow, comment on and contribute to the Future Earth blog
- Connect with our existing research projects
- Follow our news and events rss feed for all the latest from Future Earth, including information on vacancies and other opportunities.
- Explore the opportunities to partner with Future Earth. Write a blog for FEI
- Attend our events
- Propose ideas for FEI events
- By logging on to the Future Earth Open Network: network.futureearth.org/home
There are many ways to get involved with Future Earth and we are open to suggestions so if you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, please contact the Acting Head of Policy and International Relations, Dr John Maguire
In September 2014, the Academy held a Town hall on ‘The Future Earth Initiative’. The goals of the Town hall were twofold: to raise awareness of the Future Earth initiative across the Irish research community in the sciences, humanities and social sciences, and to communicate potential roles and opportunities for Irish researchers pertaining to Future Earth.
Working group members
Secretary of Future Earth Ireland