The Royal Irish Academy (RIA) offers eduroam wireless Internet access for academic visitors to Academy House, and also for RIA staff visiting other eduroam locations.
eduroam (Education Roaming) is the secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community. By authenticating against a server hosted at their own institution, users can gain wireless Internet access with their laptops and mobile devices at other member institutions.
The Royal Irish Academy (RIA) offers:
- an Identify Provider service for roaming RIA-registered users wishing to use eduroam in other eduroam enabled institutions
- a Service Provider to visitors to the RIA from other eduroam enabled institutions who wish to connect to the RIA Wi-Fi network.
eduroam is available in all areas of Academy House and Bective House.
RIA staff visiting other institutions and visitors to the RIA from participating institutions can use this service.
User authentications are logged, and DHCP logs and RADIUS accounting are kept for up to 6 months in line with the eduroam policy.
The RIA eduroam infrastructure uses Network Address Translation (NAT) for eduroam users. The network does not currently support IPv6. Traffic is not proxied, but some content filtering is applied. If you believe the content filtering is blocking a legitimate website, please contact the RIA IT department at the contact number listed below.
The following network services are available:
- Domain Name Service: UDP/53 egress only; TCP/53 egress only
- Standard IPSec VPN: IP protocols 50 (ESP) and 51 (AH) both egress and ingress; UDP/500 (IKE) egress only
- OpenVPN 2.0: UDP/1194
- IPsec NATTraversal UDP/4500
- Cisco IPSec VPN over TCP: TCP/10000 egress only
- PPTP VPN: IP protocol 47 (GRE) ingress and egress; TCP/1723 egress only
- SSH: TCP/22 egress only
- HTTP: TCP/80 egress only
- HTTPS: TCP/443 egress only
- IMAP2+4: TCP/143 egress only
- IMAP3: TCP/220 egress only
- IMAPS: TCP/993 egress only
- POP: TCP/110 egress only
- POP3S: TCP/995 egress only
- Passive (S)FTP: TCP/21 egress only
- SMTPS: TCP/465 egress only
- SMTP submit with STARTTLS: TCP/587 egress only
- RDP: TCP/3389 egress only
RIA Users at other member sites
- You must initially register with the RIA IT department so your account will be enabled for eduroam. Once registered, go to this configuration service with your mobile device. There you can download a configuration file that will set up your device to access the service. You should do this while in the RIA initially, but after that your device should connect while in any member institution.
- Make sure to read any eduroam documentation provided by the institution you are visiting before you go there.
- At the remote site, ensure your Wi-Fi settings are configured to use the Wi-Fi encryption settings of the institution you are visiting e.g. WPA2 with AES. This information should be available on the website of the remote institution.
- Connect your device to the SSID eduroam. If you have completed the first step of configuring your device, you should be able to connect seamlessly. If not, when logging into eduroam you must authenticate using your RIA username and network login password. The username must be supplied in the following format:firstname.lastname@example.org, for example: email@example.com
Users from other institutions visiting the RIA
- Confirm your home institution supports authentication from external institutions participating in the eduroam service
- Consult with your own institution’s eduroam documentation. Note that eduroam technical support must be provided by your home organisation and is not available from the IT department in the RIA.
- When using the RIA eduroam infrastructure, you are bound by the terms the HEAnet Acceptable Usage Policy and the Eircom Acceptable Usage Policy
- SSID: the SSID for eduroam is broadcast on the RIA wireless network. The eduroam SSID (Service Set Identifier) is eduroam and is case sensitive. If you do not see this SSID then you may need to manually specify it in the Wireless network properties.
- Encryption: The RIA uses WPA2-Enterprise with AES for encryption. Visiting users must have their wireless cards configured with these settings to use the eduroam service at the RIA.
- Authentication: eduroam authentication requests are forwarded to your home institution. The specifics of your client EAP/authentication settings are as per your home institution – please refer to your home institution for these settings.
- Username and Password: The domain name of your home institution must be specified when authenticating:
Syntax: username@domain e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical Contact at the RIA
RIA Information Technology Department
+353 1 676 2570