Response to National Review of State Supports for PhD Researchers, First Report24 October 2023
DownloadsStatement: Response to National Review of State Supports for PhD Researchers, First Report
This statement is being issued by a group of Academy multidisciplinary committees in response to the first report from the public consultation on State Supports for PhD Researchers.
The Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science (DFHERIS) launched a public consultation on State Supports for PhD Researchers in March 2023. DFHERIS published the first report from co-chairs of the consultation on 26 June 2023. This response statement is in response to that report and to the Minister’s subsequent statement raising the state PhD stipend by €3,000.
Dr Spyridon Dendrinos, Chair of Physical, Chemical and Mathematical Sciences Committee and co-author of the statement said:
‘Our response statement addresses issues around stipends, right to access to leave, and housing, which we feel are among the most pressing concerns for PhD researchers across Ireland today.’
Read the full statement
The response is supported by the following multidisciplinary committees of the Royal Irish Academy:
- Coiste Léann na Gaeilge agus an Léinn Cheiltigh
- Engineering and Computer Sciences Committee
- Ethics, Politics, Law and Philosophy Committee
- Geography and Geosciences Committee
- Historical Studies Committee
- Languages, Literature, Culture and Communication Committee
- Life and Health Sciences Committee
- Physical, Chemical and Mathematical Sciences Committee
- Standing Committee for Archaeology
- Standing Committee for International Affairs
The views expressed within this statement are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Royal Irish Academy.
Please note: This response statement was amended on 26 October to correct a factual inaccuracy. It was originally stated that Irish Research Council (IRC) provides paid parent’s leave which was incorrect.
Fan ar an eolas le nuachtlitir Acadamh Ríoga na hÉireannSign up now