Call for Experts for EASAC Study "Changing Wildfires: Global Patterns and European responses"11 July 2023
The RIA is a founding member of the European Academies Science Advice Council (EASAC) and supports the participation of Irish-based experts in its active programme of science policy working groups and liaison with the European Commission.
A new EASAC study on wildfires will start in the Autumn 2023 and will:
- make a critical analysis of a range of proactive actions and provide advice framed in local and regional contexts of Europe; proactive measures include fuel management, landscape management including grazing and prescribed burning, fire regime restoration and fire regime management;
- explore design principles for the massive EU tree planting programme (3 billion additional trees, EU Biodiversity Strategy 2030) to avoid adding substantial flammable fuel in many vulnerable landscapes across Europe;
- link to a number of EU policy areas: the Climate Strategy, Biodiversity Strategy, Farm to Fork Strategy, the EU Forest Strategy and the new Nature Restoration Law.
EASAC is seeking nominations of experts in the following fields of expertise:
- Fire ecology, effects of fires in both forest and other types of habitats
- Climate science, projections of drought and fire risk in different parts of Europe
- Soil ecology, effects of fires on soil carbon dynamics
- Restoration ecology, principles of post-fire restoration, design principles for tree planting in fire prone areas
- Health science, respiratory health aspects of wildfires
- Economist, estimates of loss and damage
- Political science, European institutional response mechanisms
- Policy analysis
If you are interested please return a short biosketch highlighting relevant research and professional expertise to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday 25 August 2023. All expressions of interest received will be reviewed by the Secretary for Policy and International Relations and members of the Policy Oversight Group.
Please refer to the Privacy Notice for Policy and International Relations, the RIA's Privacy page, for any further information on our data protection practices please email email@example.com
Fan ar an eolas le nuachtlitir Acadamh Ríoga na hÉireannSign up now