'The future of media: experience, models, practice'
WhenThursday, May 6, 2021, 14:00 - 16:45
Three panel sessions of discussion and debate on the future of media in Ireland.
Three panel sessions of discussion and debate themed on the three goals identified in the Terms of Reference for the Future of Media Commission; to identify the Irish experience, to consider the extent to which the current models of delivery are the appropriate ones for the next ten years, and to review best practice in other comparable jurisdictions.
Download the programme
- Brian MacCraith MRIA, Chair, The Future of Media Commission
Panel one— The Irish Experience
A discussion on the Irish experience in relation to broadcasting. Particular attention will be given to the independent broadcasting sector, local and national journalism and the experience of minorities living in Ireland.
Chair: Hugh Linehan, The Irish Times
- Larry Bass, CEO, ShinAwiL Productions
- Rosemary Day, Mary Immaculate College
- Bashir Otukoya, Dublin City University
- Jane Suiter, Dublin City University
Panel two—The Current Model and its Appropriateness for the Future
This panel will discuss the current funding models from the perspective of different stakeholders.
Chair: Sonya Lennon
- Áine Kerr, Kinzen
- Kevin Rafter, Dublin City University
- Roberto Suárez Candel, International strategy, future and impact consultant
Panel three—International Best Practice
This panel will explore examples of international best practice of media while also exploring best practice models that integrate, represent and nurture young people and talent.
Chair: Sinead O'Carroll, The Journal
- Sarah Arnold, Maynooth University
- Atte Jääskeläinen, Ministry of Education and Culture, Finland
- Ruth McElroy, The University of South Wales
Please read our Privacy and Data Protection Policy details here and our Eventbrite Transparency Statement here in relation to handling of your data for booking this event.
Support the future of sciences & humanities in IrelandMake a donation