14 October 2021
The new workshop report “Tackling the effects of climate change on health in the Mediterranean and surrounding regions” includes assessments from the region and recommendations for policy-makers and the scientific community
The Royal Irish Academy/Acadamh Ríoga na hÉireann champions research. We identify and recognise Ireland’s world class researchers. We support scholarship and promote awareness of how science and the humanities enrich our lives and benefit society. We believe that good research needs to be promoted, sustained and communicated. The Academy is run by a Council of its members. Membership is by election and considered the highest academic honour in Ireland.Read more about the RIA
We contribute to public policy debate on environmental and sustainability issues of priority interest to Ireland and the European Union including climate change, biodiversity, ecosystems and sustainability. The Academy hosts and supports the work of Future Earth Ireland.
The purpose of the Future Earth Ireland (FEI) working group is to be the national adhering group of Future Earth Global. The working group support the work of Future Earth Global by working on its two over-arching concepts:
• sustainable development goals
• the Anthropocene
It takes a particular focus on public engagement and on raising awareness of the goals of Future Earth Global. As Ireland’s focal point for all issues under the remit of Future Earth, FEI endeavours to:
• act as a hub for co-ordinating efforts within the remit of Future Earth on the island of Ireland
• build awareness of Future Earth amongst non-members, policy makers, funders and other stakeholders
• develop synergies around the Future Earth themes within Ireland for researchers and other stakeholders
• help to identify potential sources of national and international funding for researchers in relation to Future Earth and Future Earth themes
• coordinate activity across existing and proposed initiatives within universities and in other organisations
The mission of Future Earth Global is to accelerate transformations to global sustainability through research and innovation. To achieve this mission, Future Earth Global seeks to facilitate and amplify research, convene and mobilise networks, spark and promote innovation and turn knowledge into action.
Future Earth Global supports 20 Global Research Projects, diverse networks that generate ground-breaking research on global environmental change and offers funding opportunities through our PEGASuS grants programme. It maintains a network of thematic Knowledge-Action Networks and a new network for sustainability scholars who are underrepresented in the sciences.
The Future Earth Global Media Lab maintains projects focusing on data visualisation and virtual reality. It is experimenting with collective intelligence with the Climate Risk CoLabs and publishes the award-winning magazine, Anthropocene.
There are many ways in which you can get involved with Future Earth Ireland and Future Earth Global. Getting involved will allow you to learn more about Future Earth activities and opportunities and to meet fellow researchers at events to strengthen your research networks. It may also help you to develop transdisciplinary interactions with policy and industry. We greatly welcome any opportunities to collaborate and mobilize around the Future Earth themes
• Subscribe to the Future Earth Global newsletter
• Follow Future Earth Ireland twitter and share your thoughts and comments with the community
• Follow, comment on and contribute to the Future Earth Global blog
• Connect with the existing Future Earth research projects
• Keep an eye out for Future Earth Ireland Events on our twitter feed and on the RIA website
• Propose ideas for FEI events to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Log on to the Future Earth Open Network