Applying for an Archaeology Research Grant
In order to make an application for funding you will need to familiarise yourself with the ‘Guidelines for applicants’ document.
Please click here to access the online application form.
How to apply
Applicants are required to submit a detailed application form online, including:
- Project title and applicant details
- Proposed research design
- Details of employment or experience
- A letter of verification from one named referee confirming the applicant’s ability and suitability to undertake the research
- Detailed costings of proposed research
- Where relevant a letter from the landowner stating that the applicant has discussed the application with him/her and that there is permission in principle for the research.
- In cases where the proposed research is of a National Monument or in close proximity to same letters from both the Senior Archaeologist and Senior Architect responsible for the National Monuments of the particular region stating that the applicant has discussed the application and that there is permission in principle.
Approx €13,000 is available for Archaeology Research grants in this round of funding. The scheme will be competitive, and the average grant awarded has previously been in the region of €1,000 - €2,000. No one grant will exceed 50% of the total grant funding for the year.
Costs and activities which are eligible
- Relevant research expenses (e.g. aerial and remote sensing surveys, scientific analysis etc.)
- Applications will be considered for further research emanating from what were originally developer-led projects, provided all licensing requirements have been met in full
- Applicants must list current sources of research funding and justify why additional funds are sought from the RIA
Costs and activities which are ineligible
- Costs of archaeological excavations
- Applications for the funding of research as part of developer led or commercial excavations are not eligible
- Applicants are not allowed to claim a salary from funds awarded. The grant, upon the submission of vouched expenses, may be used to pay out of pocket applicant expenses accrued as a result of carrying out the research. All expenditure must be vouched.
- An application will be deemed ineligible if it does not include all required supporting documentation and confirmations listed below
- Applications from any applicant who has one or more excavation reports outstanding to the licensing authority or RIA
- Geophysics which is intended to form the basis for a subsequent grant from the RIA is not allowed under this scheme
Who can apply
This scheme is open to postgraduate students, and researchers based on the island of Ireland for work in Ireland or Northern Ireland .
Applications are accepted for the following
An innovative and standalone research question with a standalone research answer into which research might provide an original contribution to archaeological knowledge.
The Archaeology Research Grant Scheme opens on 4th February and please note that due to the current Covid-19 situation the deadline for applications has been extended until 14th April 2020.