'Church of Ireland: Disestablishment and beyond'05 March 2020
If you missed our sell out conference on the 27 February 2020 commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Disestablishment of the Church of Ireland you can listen to it now.
- Michael Peter Kennedy, PRIA [time code 00:00]
- Most Revd Michael Jackson, Archbishop of Dublin and Bishop of Glendalough [time code 04:12]
An outline of the concepts of establishment and its meaning, disestablishment and its implications, and the transition between the two.
Chair: James Kelly, MRIA (DCU) [time code 08:52]
- Jacqueline Hill, MRIA (Maynooth University) [time code 12:45]
- Professor Vincent Comerford (Maynooth University) [time code 37:18]
- Panel discussion/Q&A [time code 01:04:45]
Consequences: The First Hundred Years, 1869–1969
While the legislative act of Disestablishment was an event, the process of adapting the newly Disestablished Church to the social, political and cultural changes of late 19th century Ireland was much more complex. This panel discussion deals with that process.
Chair: Revd Trevor Sargent (Cumann Gaelach na hEaglaise) [time code 01:26:18]
- Dr Marie Coleman (Queen's University Belfast) [time code 01:33:43]
- Professor Alan Ford (The University of Nottingham) [time code 01:44:48]
- Dr Miriam Moffitt (St Patrick’s College, Maynooth) [time code 01:56:55]
- Dr Ian d’Alton (Trinity College Dublin) [time code 02:07:30]
- Panel discussion/Q&A [time code 02:19:38]]
Challenges: Since 1969
1969 marked a century of Disestablishment. This session will assess developments since 1969 and the Church’s role in and contribution to the island’s future.
Chair: Ms Áine Lawlor, journalist and broadcaster
- Martin Mansergh, MRIA Beginning un-recorded [time code 02:34:55]
- Senator Ivana Bacik [time code 02:39:25]
- Dr Andrew Pierce (Trinity College Dublin) [time code 02:53:16]
- Revd Professor Anne Lodge (Dublin City University) [time code 03:06:24]
- Panel discussion/Q&A [time code 02:21:15]
- Most Revd Michael Jackson, Archbishop of Dublin and Bishop of Glendalough [time code 03:39:40]
Produced in partnership with the Church of Ireland as part of the Church’s National Programme commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Disestablishment of the Church of Ireland.
Stay up to date with the Royal Irish Academy newsletterSign up now